Chocolate and Citrus Wheels
Use either lemons or oranges for this citrussy recipe. I haven't tried it with limes yet, but I think it might be nice.
Jump to the following sections:
- baking trays
- rolling pin
preheated oven, 190 C or 375 F or Gas Mark 5
- 350g or 12oz plain flour
- 25g or 1oz dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- grated rind of 1 lemon or orange
- 175g or 6oz butter, softened
- 300g or 10½oz caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Grease and flour baking trays.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg to the creamed mixture. Beat well after each addition.
- Sieve the flour into the creamed mixture and mix until you get a soft dough.
- Transfer half of the dough to another bowl and beat in the cooled melted chocolate.
- Stir the grated citrus rind into the other half of the plain dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the 2 pieces of dough to form rectangles of the same size.
- Lay the citrus dough on top of the chocolate dough.
- Roll up the dough tightly into a sausage shape. A sheet of baking parchment can help.
- Leave the dough to chill in the refrigerator.
- Cut the roll into about 40 slices and place them on the baking trays.
- Bake in a preheated oven 190C 375F GM5 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Transfer the pinwheels to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before serving.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 16th May 2001.