preheated oven, 160C 325F GM3
- 350g or 12oz self-raising flour
- 200g or 7oz caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125g or 4½oz butter
- 75g or 2¾oz golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange rind
- Lightly grease several baking trays.
- Heat the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan over a very low heat until the butter has melted.
- Sieve together the flour, salt, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Leave the butter to cool slightly, then pour it onto the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the egg and orange rind thoroughly.
- Shape the dough into 30 even-sized balls.
- Place the balls well apart on the prepared baking trays, then flatten them slightly with your fingers.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 160C 325F GM3 for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.