preheated oven 170C 325F GM3
- 100g or 3½oz butter, softened
- 125g or 4½oz caster sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 350g or 12oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- icing sugar for dredging when cold
- Lightly the grease baking trays.
- Cream together the butter, caster sugar and lemon rind until pale and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg and lemon juice a little at a time, beating well after each addition so it doesn't curdle.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the creamed mixture and mix in.
- Add the milk, mixing to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured work surface and divide into about 50 equal-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a sausage shape with your hands and twist in the middle to make an S-like shape. Or just make whatever shapes you like.
- Place on the prepared baking trays and bake in a preheated oven 170C 325F GM3 for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dredge with icing sugar before serving.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.