Spicy Bread Loaf
This can be made into rolls if you cook it for less time. Great as a spicy accompaniment for a plainer thick soup.
preheated oven, 190C 375F GM5
- 225g or 8oz self-raising flour
- 100g or 3½oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- >¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 25g or 1oz butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Grease the baking tray.
- Sieve the two flours, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper and curry powder into a bowl.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix through.
- Run in the butter with your fingers until well mixed.
- Add the milk and egg and mix to a soft dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly for a few minutes.
- Shape the dough into a single round loaf and cut the top with an X.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 190C 375F GM5 for 45 minutes.
- Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. It is nice warm or cold.
- Serve in chunks.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.