- shallow tray cake tin
- electric whisk, for ease - nice but not necessary
preheated oven, 180C 350F, GM4
- 200g or 8oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger (1 if you like it subtle)
- 1½ teaspoons mixed spice (½ if you like it subtle)
- 50g or 2oz butter
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 75g or 3oz dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150ml or 5 fluid oz milk. (can substitude 1oz whisky for 1oz milk)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Grease and line cake tin.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, ginger and mixed spice
- Cream together butter, sugar and treacle.
- Beat eggs.
- Dissolve bicarbonate of soda into milk.
- Stir flour mixture, eggs and milk into treacle mixture, adding items alternately.
- Beat until surface bubbles.
- Pour into tin.
- Bake in moderate oven 180C, 350F, GM4 for 30-35 minutes or until a sharp knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- At this stage you are supposed to store it in an airtight container for a couple of days, before icing. That *never* happens in my house.
- Ice with lemon glace icing.
Links (to icings etc)
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.