For a richer,darker cake, use all treacle instead of treacle and golden syrup. For a lighter, more golden cake, use all golden syrup.
Jump to the following sections:
- Rectangular baking tin, about 28 by 18 cm or 11 by 7 inches
Preheated oven, 180C 350F, GM4.
- 100g or 4oz butter
- 100g or 4oz soft brown sugar
- 100g or 4oz treacle
- 100g or 4oz golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 150ml or 5 fluid oz milk
- 225g or 8oz plain flour
- ½ level teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ level teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g or 8oz oatmeal
- Put the butter, sugar, treacle and golden syrup in a pan and melt over a low heat until the sugar is just dissolved. Allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg well with half of the milk and stir into the syrup mixture.
- Sieve the flour, ginger and mixed spice into a mixing bowl and stir in the oatmeal.
- Pour the syrup mixture in to the dry ingredients.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in tthe rest of the milk and add to the rest of the mixture.
- Mix well together.
- Pour into the greased baking tin.
- Bake for 1 hour in the centre of the oven or until firm. Allow to cool before removing from tin.
- When cold cut into squares.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 16th May 2001.