Chicken stuffed with Spinach and Pesto
This being a recipe I threw together, it is pretty handwavy and "a little bit of this and a little bit of that". Don't try to follow it if you aren't fairly used to cooking stuff you've made up yourself.
Jump to the following sections:
- lidded casserole dish
180-190C 350-375F GM4-5
Quantities are fairly hand-wavy.
- chicken breasts (one per person)
- some fresh spinach, green or red or both (a chopped tablespoon per person)
- a few spoons from a jar of red pesto (to taste)
- one or two tins of chopped tinned tomatoes (it depends on the numbers you are doing and the size of your casserole)
- some red wine (it depends how alcoholic you want the dish)
- a few mushrooms (3 medium ones per person?)
- onion (an eighth to a quarter of a medium onion per person?)
- garlic (half to one clove per person?)
- ham or bacon (a slice per person)
- pepper (mill)
- melty cheese (double gloucester, cheddar, mozzarella - pick what you fancy) - some (optional)
- Italian mixed herbs
- Peel and slice the mushrooms.
- Chop the onion, fry a bit for flavour (optional).
- Put the chopped tomatoes in the casserole dish, mix in the red wine, mushooms, onions, herbs and some pepper.
- Chop the spinach finely.
- Crush the garlic.
- Mix the spinach, pesto, cheese, garlic and some ground pepper in a bowl.
- Cut the chicken breasts open so that they will stuff.
- Stuff the chicken breasts with the spinach mixture, wrap in a slice of ham or bacon (to close) and tie with string.
- Put the chicken into the tomato mixture, making sure it is covered.
- Bake in the oven till done. This can take a while.
- Serve each breast with the string gently removed, with green beans and rice or sauteed potatoes.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 17th May 2001.