- 2 litre or 3½ ovenproof dish
preheated oven, 190C 375F GM5
- 1kg or 2¼lb plums, stoned and sliced before weighing
- 100g or 3½oz caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 250g or 9oz plain flour
- 75g or 2¾oz granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150m or ¼ pint buttermilk or soured cream
- 75g or 2¾oz butter
- double cream to serve
- Lightly grease dish.
- In a large bowl mix together plums, caster sugar, lemon juice and 25g or 1oz of the plain flour.
- Spoon the coated plums into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Combine the remaining flour, granulated sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the beaten egg, buttermilk and cooled melted butter.
- Mix everything gently together to form a soft dough.
- Place spoonfuls of the dough on top of the fruit mixture until it is almost covered. (Little gaps look nice and let steam escape.)
- Bake in a preheated oven, 190C375F GM5 for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve pudding piping hot with double cream.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.