RUM! Need some rum, specifically a good anejo. Here's what Broom has
- Appleton Special: "Coffee and crème brulée with a
touch of banana. Good weight. Rich and smooth with a wooded fruity
- Appleton VX: "Slightly vegetal with banana esteriness before a
raspberry compote fills the nose. Good grip mid-palate before rounding
out for a long, pleasant finish."
- Appleton 12 yo: "Immediate vanilla/toasted coconut wood on the nose.
On the palate, it's smokily complex and mellow. Very good."
- Mount Gay: "Lifted and sweet nose with some banana/toffee notes and
a hint of smoke. Very clean, elegant and long."
- Mount Gay Extra Old: "Rich toasted wood, some coconut, orange and
banana. Positive wood on palate, but balanced by sweet, complex layers
of fruit flavours."
Appleton is Jamaican (part of Wray & Nephew), Mount Gay is Bajan.
In the end, i stayed faithful to Ja and got Appleton Estate Extra.
This is not something Mr Broom had tasted, sadly; in Appleton's product
range, it sits just above their Reserve, which is in turn the one above
VX, and just below 21 Year Old. I haven't drunk much of it yet, and am
far too much of a plebeian to be able to say much about it even when i
have. It's nice, though. Yep.