[Debian-haskell] First pass at -prof support in dh_haskell

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Tue Jul 11 19:40:30 BST 2006

At Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:55:22 -0700,
Isaac Jones wrote:
> "Jeremy Shaw" <jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com> writes:
> (snip)

> > Instead it builds them both at once and lumps them in the same
> > directory. I think that this should ultimately be fixed in cabal, but
> > for now, dh_haskell needs to work with the current behaviour.
> Patches are welcome :) Just a flag like disable-non-profiling should
> do the trick.

Hrm, originally I thought I was stuck with the version of cabal that
ghc ships with -- so even if I fixed cabal now, I would not be able to
benefit from it until ghc 6.6 or 6.4.3 made it into sid.

But now I realize cabal is currently a separate source package in
sid. Does anyone see a flaw in this plan:

 (1) patch cabal to support building the profiling libs separately
     from the non-profiling versions.

 (2) patch dh_haskell to depend on the new libghc6-cabal-dev and use
     the new feature.

 (3) upload them both to sid

I am concerned because the upstream ghc source contains a version of
cabal. Can I count on the separately packaged cabal library to stay
around until my patch makes it into the ghc upstream source?  Or will
libghc6-cabal-dev come from the ghc6 source package in 6.4.2+?

I would definately prefer to patch the cabal source now if it is
viable plan.

The Names Of Things
In order to match the current flags I plan to implement these new

--enable-library-vanilla (default)

--enable-executable-vanilla (default)

If someone has a better term than 'vanilla' I am happy to hear
it. Other ideas are, 'default', 'standard', 'plain' -- something that
describes what it *is* instead of what it is *not*.

I think 'non-profiling' is out because there other
(not-yet-implemented) flags such as,

ghc6-prof dependency?

Also, should I make the the libghc6-*-prof debs depend on ghc6-prof?
It seems like the only time you would be able to compile against a
libghc6-*-prof package and *not* have ghc6-prof installed is if you
did not use *any* ghc libraries and you excluded the prelude?