Victoria Sponge Cake
- sandwich tins (for the 8s version of the recipe below, 2 8inch or 20cm sandwich tins are ideal)
- electric whisk, for ease - nice but not necessary
preheated oven, 180C 350F, GM4
- 200g or 8oz self raising flour
- 200g or 8oz caster sugar (preferably which has had a vanilla pod stored in it for the last 3 months)
- 200g or 8oz softened butter or margarine
- 4 large eggs
Note that this recipe is all in 2s (if you consider the egg to be 2 oz
of fluid.) Therefore it is easy to scale up or down.
- Grease and line cake tin.
- Cream together butter and sugar till very pale, light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs.
- Beat eggs into the butter and sugar mixture, adding a little flour to prevent it separating.
- Fold in remaining flour, gently.
- Pour into tins and smooth tops with a knife.
- Bake in moderate oven 180C, 350F, GM4 for 25-30 minutes or until a sharp knife comes out clean or until well-risen, golden brown and firm.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out on to a wire cooling rack.
- Fill with jam and butter cream filling.
- Dust with icing sugar
Links (to icings etc)
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 3rd December 2002.