This makes 2 lemon fleurs of the size of tin my mother has, but that doesn't help you. I'm useless at judging size though, so I won't guess. Ah, she says they are 8 inch fluted loose base sandwich tins. You can freeze the pastry base once made, or it will last a couple of days in a sealed plastic bag. Either way, store it in its tin.
- two fluted sandwich tins
- greaseproof paper
- long-grain rice or baking beans
pre-heated oven 190 C 375 F GM5 (170C fan assisted oven)
- 350g or 12oz plain flour
- 175g or 6oz butter or margarine
- 25-50g or 1-2 oz caster sugar
- 1-2 egg yolks
- Beat fat and sugar until soft and white.
- Add one beaten egg yolk and flour gradually. If too dry add second egg yolk.
- Knead a little to make pastry hold together.
- Line a sandwich tin with rolled out pastry.
- Bake blind (place greaseproof paper on pastry in tin, overlapping sides and fill evenly with rice or baking beans) at 190 C 375 F GM5 (170C fan assisted oven for 20 minutes.
- When nearly done, lift off rice and paper and return to oven for a few minutes. Do not over cook.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.