Rich Dark Chocolate Cake
This is the default chocolate I make. Takes a lot of effort, but is the firm favourite of many of my friends. The icing really makes the difference.
- electric whisk (makes whisking the egg whites soooo much easier)
- cake tins
preheated oven 190C 375F GM5
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 175g or 6oz caster sugar
- 280g or 10oz plain chocolate, melted
- 100g or 4oz butter, melted
- 100g or 4oz plain flour
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in a bain marie.
- Fold melted chocolate and butter, then flour into egg and sugar.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold in to rest of mixture.
- Pour into tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes in 190C 375F GM5 preheated oven until puffed, slightly cracked on top and firm to touch.
- Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire tray.
- If making two cakes for sandwiching, fill with butter cream icing.
- Ice with chocolate and cream icing.
This page was last updated by Mad Hatter
on 12th May 2001.